stoma covers

Just a place to chat about anything you like.

Moderator: Poppasierra

stoma covers

Postby budhabee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:30 am

Awhile back but evidently not on this forum a guy was having trouble with stoma coverings. Before I figured out what to use it was a real mess for me too. I couldn't breathe through a turtle neck. One day I stumbled on a box of nurses masks. The kind that tie over each ear and cover the face and nose. I found that if I cut the top string in two right in the middle and cut off both ends of the bottom string and tied them to extend the top string I could stretch it around my neck and let it hang down and cover my stoma. Now that I have gotten so skinny I dont even have to cut it or tie it anymore. I just take one end and stretch it over my neck and let it hang down. Plus they can be changed every day. They are always in a tin at the hallways entering a patients room if you need to know what they look like. Specialized Drug Stores carry them. We have a place here called Walker's Drug Store that carries them. Plus you could probably order them on line under Nurses Masks. Or sumpin like that!
my operation was around 2005. The docs couldnt find what was wrong with me. They thought it was in my HEAD. NOPE! It was in my THROAT. It wasnt showing up on x-rays because it was underneath my Layranyx.
budhabee

Re: stoma covers

Postby nhorv » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 pm

I know this is an old post but I just came across it and am putting my 2 cents in. I make all kinds of stoma covers and custom made ones for those who know what they want but can't find it. Someone just asked me to crochet some with bigger holes for easier breathing. But as for the dickeys, I have been using football jersey knit which has small holes in it. You might like that. I don't mind sending you one to try if you want to. Now of course, I must advertise. lol My website is: http://stomacoversandtrachbands.com
Nancy ...... I really enjoy making and talking about stoma covers so if anyone has any ideas, or comments I would appreciate it.

budhabee wrote:Awhile back but evidently not on this forum a guy was having trouble with stoma coverings. Before I figured out what to use it was a real mess for me too. I couldn't breathe through a turtle neck. One day I stumbled on a box of nurses masks. The kind that tie over each ear and cover the face and nose. I found that if I cut the top string in two right in the middle and cut off both ends of the bottom string and tied them to extend the top string I could stretch it around my neck and let it hang down and cover my stoma. Now that I have gotten so skinny I dont even have to cut it or tie it anymore. I just take one end and stretch it over my neck and let it hang down. Plus they can be changed every day. They are always in a tin at the hallways entering a patients room if you need to know what they look like. Specialized Drug Stores carry them. We have a place here called Walker's Drug Store that carries them. Plus you could probably order them on line under Nurses Masks. Or sumpin like that!
nhorv

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Nancy - I've just taken a look at your website and really like the Ascots. Great style. Are they made for different neck sizes or does the Velcro fastening have adjustment?

Paul
Paul

Postby nhorv » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 pm

I was asked to make some regular ascots for someone and so I have started making those kind, which are the same as used at weddings or as this guy is doing, just for anytime. They are made with pleats (folds that are sewn down) around the neck and then looped in front so there is really no sizing involved.

As for the others I have listed on my site. The pattern was designed for larys (not by me) and it is similar to those I have seen on the internet.....I think it was for military men, not sure. But it does close with velcro in the back. I know they say they fit a certain range of sizes but I prefer to have an idea of the neck size so that they fit better. I don't keep a supply of those on hand so if you want any you have to tell me what you like since there are so many choices. A few years ago a man wanted one with a really, really bright and big parrot on the front...so who can tell what someone may want.. lol
Nancy

Paul wrote:Hi Nancy - I've just taken a look at your website and really like the Ascots. Great style. Are they made for different neck sizes or does the Velcro fastening have adjustment?

Paul
:lol:
nhorv

Postby rosenkeimer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:16 pm

I've given up on 'dickey' style stoma covers after wearing them for years.

For the last couple of years I've used the 1 1/2" square foam filter cover with the adhesive strip at the top. Anymore I find it uncomfortable to talk without this foam filter in place. It's a lot easier to clean then the inside of my shirt. Though they've raised the price to almost 50 cents each I've found a way to recycle them. Once the adhesive strip gives up I put on a new adhesive strip over the old one. It's a hypo-allergenic double sided adhesive foam tape made by Urocare Products called Urofoam-2. I do have to trim them to size but 1 strip can make 8 smaller strips. Where the square filter adhesive lasted 1 to 3 days and didn't do well in water the Urofoam tape can last for a week or 2 with daily showers and the occasional pool volleyball game. When this adhesive strip finally gives up I trim it off and put a new one directly on the foam. It's good for a week plus. I bought one box of fifty strips 3 years ago and am 1/2 way through the box.

If I'm wearing a dress shirt with a fairly stiff stand up collar then the foam filter shows a bit, but trust me, no one cares. That said I do avoid the casual open neck style shirt like a Hawaiian style. I've bought myself 30 mock turtleneck shirts, mostly short sleeve, for everyday casual use (I live in Houston). Nike makes some very high quality and somewhat expensive ($50 to $80) ribbed ones perfect for formal wear under a sports or evening jacket.
rosenkeimer

Postby nhorv » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:56 am

I don't know much (nothing actually) about the foam stoma covers but I have been making stoma covers for many years and maybe you would like to take a look at my website. I am trying a few new things that I will be putting on my website as soon as I can. And I am always looking for new ideas......thanks to all those who have helped me with the ideas and were willing to try them out for me.
http://stomacoversandtrachbands.com
Be sure to check out my little mouse logo. My grandson just drew it for me and I love it! Got it on a tote bag and also a mouse pad. Every mouse should have a "pad" of her own don't you think. And of course she has the computer mouse as a friend. lol
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Nancy Horvath
nhorv

Return to Just Chat